MSO10417 - Late prehistoric hut circle on Codsend Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
H. SS 8868 4023. Within field system MSO9203 is a hut circle of 12.8 metres external and 6.1 to 6.9 metres internal diameter. Its walls now appear as partly grass-grown, rubbly banks or scarps 2.5 to 3.5 metres wide overall, obviously considerably spread. There is no clear entrance gap. The interior is terraced by cutting in upslope to c. 0.35 metres and embankment downslope to c. 0.6 metres. Walls on the east and west sides are c. 0.30 metres high. The hut is not connected to any other feature. [1-5] The hut circle is visible on aerial photographs. The hut circle is centred at c. SS 8871 4047. [6-11] The grid reference suggested by  is actually occupied by hut circle MSO10418. It is not clear whether that monument has been mistaken for this one; the mapping for this monument has, therefore, been left at SS 8868 4023.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 October 1987.
- <2> SMO5432 Technical drawing: Pattison, P.. 1988. Codsend Moor Part 3/ink survey . 1:1250. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO6274 Collection: Pattison, P., Quinnell, N.V., Fletcher, M. and Sainsbury, I.. 1987-1988. RCHME: Exmoor Pilot Survey, SS 84 SE, Somerset.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 963-4 (29 April 1973).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL 76048 068 14125 (June 1976).
- <6> SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 F20 4271-2 (11 April 1947).
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA 2247-8 (1982).
- <9> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8840/3 (15856/15) (20 January 1998).
- <10> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8840/4 (18242/20) (10 February 1999).
- <11> SSO1779 Article in monograph: Pattison, P and Sainsbury, I. 1989. Prehistoric Earthworks on Codsend and Hoar Moors, Somerset. From Cornwall to Caithness: Some Aspects of British Field Archaeology. Archaeopress. Bowden, M. et. al..
- <12> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 19 September 2013.
- <13> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36181, Extant 16 March 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 8868 4022 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36181 (Original Monarch entry: 36181)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE87
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36181
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19354
Record last edited
Mar 16 2022 9:58AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.