MSO10405 - Prehistoric clearance cairns on Codsend Moor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Five cairns are marked on a plan of Codsend Moor drawn by McDonnell.  Five small cairns were recorded; four forming a loose "group" and one isolated; all are probably from field clearance. All are composed of small to medium size stones (0.10 to 0.20 metres diameter), partly turf-covered and are of flattish profiles. SS 8750 4100. 9.40 metres north to south by 8 metres east to west, 0.50 metres high. Pitted in the centre and on the periphery, probably from stone robbing. SS 8749 4101. 3.50 metres by 3 metres, nearly circular, 0.40 metres high. SS 8756 4104. 5.30 metres north to south by 4.60 metres east to west, 0.25 metres high. Extensively robbed on the southeast. SS 8756 4103. 12 metres north to south by 7 metres east to west, 0.40 metres high. Elongated cairn lying down the hillslope, extensively pitted. These four were recorded by R. McDonnell in 1981  but wrongly located in the Somerset SMR from his accurate information. SS 8775 4118. Small cairn c. 2 metres diameter, 0.30 metres high. Nearby is a sixth cairn, MSO7383. Interpretation of these remains is hampered by the poor state of preservation, but there seems no reason to doubt a general prehistoric date. [2,3] The isolated cairn at SS 8775 4118 appears to have been recorded by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England twice: see MSO10011. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33531 - R McDonnell, CRAAGS Field Record, 22 January 1981.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. P Pattison and I Sainsbury, RCHME Field Investigation, 5 October 1987.
- <3> SSO1849 Map: RCHME. 1987. 1:2500.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Chris Webster, Somerset HER, 2 December 2005.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8761 4109 (260m by 180m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36173 (Original Monarch entry: 36173)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9201
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE85
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36173
- Somerset SMR PRN: 19320
Record last edited
Sep 9 2014 4:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.