MSO10381 - Post-medieval quarries north of Sheepwash Stream (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two quarrying features are located on Swap Hill. One is a subrectangular, deep quarried depression with no face. The feature is up to 2 metres deep with a small linear mound along the western edge. This is the more westerly of the two quarries. The other is a small ragged, faceless quarried depression up to 1 metre deep with a small rounded spoil mound on the western side. This feature is the one nearer to the hedge line.  Two quarries or prospecting pits are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 8121 4218, to the north of Sheepwash stream, on the east facing slopes of Swap Hill. The western pit is roughly circular in shape and measures just over 8 metres in diameter, with a deeper oval central depression approximately 5 metres across. An irregularly shaped spoil heap 5 metres across is visible on its western side. The eastern pit is also roughly circular and measures almost 5 metres in diameter. A spoil heap is also visible on this pit's western edge. Neither pit is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, but they both bear some resemblance to, and may be contemporary with, a number of pits visible on the slopes of Long Combe to the north, thought to be 19th Century in date. They are still visible on aerial photographs of 1973. [2-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. [No title]. 23 June 1982.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3106-7 (8 November 1952).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 941-2 (29 April 1973).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped features: #47380 Western feature, ; #47381 Eastern feature, ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478133, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8122 4218 (28m by 22m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478133 (Pastscape entry: 1478133)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2516
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW265
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478133
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18781
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 11:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.