MSO10371 - Undated mound at Thorn Gate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 9658 4018, North Burrow. A mound on the roadside opposite Thorn Gate is depicted on a map dating from around 1600, marking the parish boundary between Luxborough and Dunster where it meets the road.  The area appears to have been under tree cover since the 1940s. [2,3] As well as being on the parish boundary between Luxborough and Dunster, the mound's recorded location is c. 39 metres northeast of where both parishes meet the historic boundary of Carhampton Parish (now Timberscombe Parish), although from the description in  it may have actually been located at this junction (and the grid reference supplied slightly incorrect). N.B. No mound is depicted here on any of the three Tithe Maps. [4-6]
- <1>XY SSO738 Unpublished document: Anonymous (SIAS?). 1970s. Suggested additional sites. p2, Boundary Marks 3.. [Mapped feature: #46472 ]
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <3> SEM8520 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2017. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <4> SEM8089 Map: 1842. Dunster Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <5> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM7803 Map: 1840. Carhampton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||SS 9658 4018 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18649
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 10:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.