MSO10332 - Post-medieval quarry northeast of Alderman's Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A deep elongated quarry c.5 metres deep with some small spoil mounds.  Still visible in 2001.  A quarry of probable post-medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The pit is located on Aldermans Barrow Allotment at circa SS 8377 4235, roughly 40 metres from Wellshead Lane. The quarry is oval in shape and measures approximately 21 metres long and up to 13 wide, with an entrance extending a further 10 metres from the northeastern tip of the pit. It is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore predates 1890. Considering its proximity to the road, it may be a road builders quarry associated with the construction of Wellshead Lane. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO87 Unassigned: 15/01/81. CRAAGS.
- <2> SSO401 Aerial photograph: 2001. SCC Colour Vertical Aerial Photograph.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3099-100 (8 November 1952).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <5> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478007, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8377 4235 (25m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2505
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW 254
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478007
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18566
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 2:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.