MSO10325 - Site of Baronsdown House, Brompton Regis (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
'Baronsdown' is marked on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. A number of structures are shown around the main house. [1-2] The original house was built by the Joyce family circa 1656. The estate covered in excess of 1,200 acres, extending from the River Exe in the west, and Kings Brompton in the east. The estate included the present day Barlynch and Baronsdown sites, as well as the neighbouring farms of Oatway, Weatherham, Shircombe, Winslade, Kents, Staghead, Daws, Expark and Blackbeards. The estate was broken up and sold in 1919 when the house was noted as a 'moderate sized stone-built mansion'. The house is known to have been owned by the Bullivant family in 1939 and housed Italian Prisoners of War during the Second World War, employed in making withy baskets and bowls. The house was bought by the League Against Cruel Sport, in the 1960s, and was demolished due to being in a poor state of repair.  Baronsdown was auctioned in Taunton in July 1919. The sales particulars stated the residential, agricultural and sporting estate contained bout 1216 acres at that time. The ruins of Barlynch Priory were included in the sale, as were the quarries of road stone at the north side of the property, adjoining the main road. The mansion was said to include a portico (with stone columns), a hall (with an oak floor), a morning room (including an oak floor and ornamental ceiling), drawing room (including fireplace with marble mantle and ornamental ceiling), study (with a large bay, oak mantelpiece and french windows), sitting room (with a marble mantel), dining room (with a marble mantel, ornamental ceiling and oak floor) and a gun room with glass doors leading to a W.C. and stable yard. Upstairs were various bedrooms and servants' accommodation. Services included a kitchen, scullery, servants' hall, butler's pantry, larder and dairy, large wine and beer cellars, laundry and ironing room and servants' W.C. A coke stove in the stable yard heated the water for the house and the house was lit by acetylene gas. Stabling was arranged around a courtyard with a bell tower. Various gardens and service buildings were also listed in the lot.  The house site and gardens were surveyed as part of a BA (Hons) study. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SSO719 Website: Working for Wildlife. 2005. Working for Wildlife Website.
- <4> SEM7523 Monograph: Dulverton and District Civic Society. 2002. The Book of Dulverton, Brushford, Bury and Exebridge. Halsgrove. P.22, 23, Photographs.
- <5> SEM8143 Unpublished document: Waterlow Brothers and Layton. 1919. Sales particulars for Barons Down.
- <6> SEM8417 Unpublished document: Sheldon, P.. 2015. Desk based assessment and survey of Baronsdown House Grounds.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9327 2889 (163m by 188m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18558
Record last edited
Dec 14 2016 12:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.