MSO10312 - Memorial Hall, Church Hill, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A community hall commemorating World War Two. An honour roll (?inside the building) reads: EXFORD PARISH MEMORIAL HALL / THIS PLAQUE WAS UNVEILED BY CAPTAIN R E LLOYD / TO COMMEMORATE THOSE WHO MOST / GENEROUSLY DONATED TOWARDS THE MAJOR / ALTERATION AND REFURBISHMENT OF THIS HALL / [NAMES OF SPONSORS]  The Memorial Hall was built to commemorate those who died in World War One, not World War Two as mentioned in .  The Memorial Hall was opened in 1922 and commemorates the ten Exford men who died in the First World War. It underwent major refurbishment in 1994-95 using funds raised in the community. It is run by a voluntary committee.  Building control plans for the new memorial hall date to 1922 and are held at the Record Office.  The Memorial Hall in Exford was built in memory of Major Morland Greig and was opened by Lady Sanders in 1922. There are plaques in the church and hall commemorating the fallen. The hall was used as a school room for Leyton Schoolchildren who were evacuated to Exford during World War Two.  In 1962 the village hall was described as having a main hall with a wooden floor. It seated 180 and the stage could be extended forwards. There was also a small committee room, kitchen and cloak rooms. It was noted that "the original structure of timber-framed asbestos sheeting has fallen into considerable disrepair, and the fabric is now being rebuilt (gradually) of concrete blocks". The building was used as a kitchen and dining hall for the midday meals of the Primary School (MEM24568), which were cooked by local people. 
- <1> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM reference 24569.
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Dr L Martin, Secretary Management Committee, Exford Memorial Hall.
- <3> SEM8398 Website: Exford Parish Council. 2016. Exford Memorial Hall. Viewed 14 November 2016.
- <4> SEM8678 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. 1922. War Memorial Hall, Exford.
- <5> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 42, 43.
- <6> SEM8687 Report: Gibbs. 1962. Exford Village Survey. 10.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8553 3843 (24m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (2)
- http://exfordparishcouncil.org/community-facilities/exford-memorial-hall (Exford Parish Council information on the hall.)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24569 (UKNIWM reference: 24569)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18467
Record last edited
Aug 20 2019 3:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.