MSO10183 - Prehistoric clearance cairns above Orchard Bottom (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
"Two heaps of large and medium sized stones similar to those used in the other stone circles" annotated on AL Wedlake's 1955 Ordnance Survey map at SS 8209 4106 and SS 8213 4108.  These are stones that have been cleared from the fields and dumped near the field walls. There appears to be no reason to suppose that they ever formed a prehistoric stone circle.  The two clearance cairns could not be found at the National Grid Reference cited. However, at SS 8201 4101 is a heap of angular stones which the farmer remembers dumping during field clearance operations. It is possible that the two cairns have now been removed. 
- <1>XY SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS 84 SW13, Correction 6 inch, AL Wedlake, 1 March 1955. [Mapped features: #43522 Stone heap 1, ; #43523 Stone heap 2, ]
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 28 June 1965.
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 December 1995. [Mapped feature: #43524 Cleared stone heap, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8207 4105 (120m by 70m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6731
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW13
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36237
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15514
Record last edited
Jun 18 2019 11:03AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.