MSO10172 - Post-medieval peat stacks north of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Four earthen mounds, centred SS 8188 4329, were located in rough grassland, 400 metres to the north of Larkbarrow farmhouse. The mounds, approximately 5 metres in diameter and 0.9 metres in height, are set out in a more or less regular pattern following the line of the boundary wall. These features may represent the remains of 19th Century peat drying stacks, where turf was dried before being burnt on domestic fires.  These mounds were recorded at 1:2500 scale using differential GPS as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was undertaken by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon.  These peaty mounds lie on ground which is part of a ridge of higher ground south of Kittuck and the headwaters of Chalk Water. They are all circular or subcircular, c. 11.5 metres to 12 metres in diameter, 0.8 metres to 1 metre high and are covered with reeds.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. 2001, English Heritage Field Investigation.
- <2> SSO1286 Report: Jamieson, E. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset. English Heritage survey report.
- <3> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 39-41.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1343913, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8188 4327 (141m by 237m) (4 map features)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1343913 (Original monarch entry: 1343913)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW178
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1343913
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15238
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 2:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.