MSO10168 - 19th Century quarries southeast of Larkbarrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two small quarries lie adjacent to each other next to the track, 650 metres northeast of Larkbarrow corner, at about 430 metres above Ordnance Datum. Quarry A (SS 8272 4207) has a depth of 0.8 metres, is 7.8 metres in width and 15.1 metres in length. Quarry B (SS 8271 4206) is 1.2 metres deep, 10.3 metres wide and 10.6 metres in length, with an entrance in its west side. Neither quarry has any associated spoil heaps. Both features most probably date from the 19th Century and may be related to the construction of the track or the boundary walls.  The quarry was recorded at 1:2500 scale using diferential GPS as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was undertaken by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon.  The quarries have been transcribed from aerial photographs as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. The pits are clearly visible on aerial photographs from the 1940s onwards. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. English Heritage Field Investigation, 2001.
- <2> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset. P.31.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3164-5 (11 April 1947 ).
- <4> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8241/1 (15608/14) (14 January 1997).
- <5> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1341973, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8271 4206 (36m by 19m) Aerial survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1341973 (Original Monarch entry: 1341973)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1236
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW173
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1341973
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15233
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 2:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.