MSO10167 - 19th Century quarry southeast of Larkbarrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A quarry comprising two pits, both about 3 metres deep, with an access ramp to the south. Overall the quarry is 18 metres east to west by 17 metres north to south, with a large spoil heap on the south side. The feature most probably dates from the 19th Century and may be related to the construction of the track or the boundary wall, alternatively, the quarried material may have been used in the construction of the Simonsbath to Porlock railway (MSO7906), a section of which lies 200 metres to the south. The quarry appears to have been reused as a practice trench during the areas use as a military training ground in the Second World War. Several small pits were recorded round the quarry which may have been used to store munitions boxes.  The site is shown as an old quarry on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Ovoid pit (20m x 8m x 1.2m) adjacent to the track, consisting of two adjacent pits at its north western and south-eastern ends, with the northernmost being deepest. Along the south-western side of the pit is a ramp with a width of ~1m. A spoil bank up to c. 1.2m high is present along the southern edge of the feature. These features are, perhaps quarries, serving as a source of stone for the nearby hedge bank, but they may also be military works dating to WWII. [3-4]
- <1> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8124 Report: Morris, B.. 2014. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor: Results of a walkover survey. p. 20; ELB14(28).
- <4> SEM8281 Digital archive: Bray, L.. 2014-2015. Larkbarrow, Exmoor: Archaeological walkover survey. p. 2; ELB14(28).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8268 4232 (24m by 24m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1341959 (Original Monarch entry: 1341959)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument): ELB14(28)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW172
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1341959
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15232
Record last edited
Aug 17 2018 8:15AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.