MSO10166 - 19th Century quarry east of Larkbarrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small quarry, SS 8268 4278, lies adjacent to a field boundary, 650 metres to the east of Larkbarrow farmhouse, at about 415 metres above Ordnance Datum. The semicircular quarry has a diameter of 9 metres and a depth of 0.8 metres; there are no associated spoil heaps. The feature most probably dates from the 19th Century and may be related to the construction of the field boundary.  The quarry was recorded at 1:2500 scale using differential GPS as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was undertaken by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon.  Quarry pit; slight trace of upcast to the northwest side; located next to hedgebank, which post dates the feature and the quarry most likely served as a source of stone for its construction. (8 metres by 4.5 metres by 1.2 metres). [3-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. English Heritage Field Investigation, 2001.
- <2> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset. English Heritage.
- <3> SEM8124 Report: Morris, B.. 2014. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor: Results of a walkover survey. South West Archaeology Ltd.. p. 19; ELB14(1).
- <4>XY SEM8281 Digital archive: Bray, L.S.. 2014-2015. Larkbarrow, Exmoor: Archaeological walkover survey. p.1; ELB14(1). [Mapped feature: #44995 Quarry Pit, ELB14(1)]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1341944, Updated 17 March 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 8268 4278 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument): ELB14(1)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW171
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1341944
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15231
Record last edited
Mar 17 2022 2:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.