MSO10159 - Post-medieval quarry on Swap Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large quarry, SS 8223 4227, lies 650 metres to the south of Larkbarrow farmhouse, cut into the steep eastern slopes of Swap Hill, above Long Combe Head. The quarry has approximate dimensions: 17 metres in length and 17.7 metres in width; there are no associated spoil heaps.  The feature was recorded at 1:2500 scale using differential GPS equipment as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was carried out by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon.  The feature is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and marked as an "Old Quarry".  The features is depicted but not labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. English Heritage Field Investigation, 2001.
- <2> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset. English Heritage.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47388 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1341543, Updated 17 March 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8223 4226 (26m by 40m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW164
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1341543
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15224
Record last edited
Mar 17 2022 2:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.