MSO10155 - 19th Century prospecting pit or quarry northeast of Larkbarrow Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
The earthwork remains of a mineral prospecting pit, SS 8273 4187, lie adjacent to the Larkbarrow track, 100 metres north of the Wellshead road. The oval pit is 7 metres in length, 4.7 metres in width and 1.5 metres in depth with a substantial spoil heap along its western edge. A shallow, circular pit lies imediately to the south and survives to a depth of 0.2 metres. These features may be related to Frederic Knight's attempts at mineral extraction on Exmoor in the mid 1850s.  The feature was recorded at 1:2500 scale as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was carried out by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon.  Two pits (20 metres by 8 metres by 1.2 metres), with the northernmost later and larger and deeper than the southern. Spoil banks are present on all sides and reach 1.2 metres in height. The features may be quarries providing stone for the nearby hedgebank. Alternatively, they may be Second World War military features. [3-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments.
- <2> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset. P.28.
- <3> SEM8124 Report: Morris, B.. 2014. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor: Results of a walkover survey. p. 20; ELB14(28).
- <4>XY SEM8281 Digital archive: Bray, L.S.. 2014-2015. Larkbarrow, Exmoor: Archaeological walkover survey. p. 2-3; ELB14(28). [Mapped feature: #45019 Possible quarry or prospecting pit., ELB14(28)]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1341239, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 82735 41868 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1341239 (Original Monarch entry: 1341239)
- Mires Feature Reference (Monument): ELB14(29)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW160
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1341239
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15220
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 3:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.