MSO10037 - Medieval castle tower (later folly) at Dunster Castle (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A D-shaped stone tower lies in the grounds of Dunster Castle at SS 9914 4354. It is approximately 8m square with red sandstone walls 1.5m thick. It has 6 large window openings, no roof but a crenallated top. The tower is connected to a short length of curtain wall (all that remains of the wall which encircled the bailey in medieval times). It was restored in the 18th century as part of the landscaping of the grounds of Dunster Castle.  A heritage statement for the building was prepared as part of a planning application intended to seek consent for repair works to the structure in 2019.  The tower is indicated but not labelled on 2018 MasterMap data.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <2> SEM8755 Report: Gibson, G.. 2019. Heritage Statement incorporating Design & Access Statement, Lighting Assessment and Site Waste Management Plan.
- <3>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #34634 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1156317, Extant 19 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9913 4353 (6m by 4m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1156317 (Pastscape entry: 1156317)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA176625 (National Trust HER entry: MNA176625)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9483
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE109
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA176625
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1156317
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13474
Record last edited
May 19 2022 2:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.