MSO10026 - Post-medieval water meadow north of Brougham Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Area of irrigation system in valley to the N presumably belonging to the deserted farm to the south.  A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks in fields south of Timberscombe. Centred at SS 9577 4178, five gutters are visible stretching across a west facing slope above an un-named stream, varying in length from 170 to 250 metres. There is no evidence that this system was connected to any local farmyards, suggesting that this was a detached system which only distributed water to the fields and not liquid manure or other fertilisers. Catchwater meadows used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to prevent freezing in winter and encourage early growth in spring, thereby providing extra feed for livestock. Most catchwater meadows are believed to date to the post medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [2,3]
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. M Aston, 2 December 1976.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F64) 141-42 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <4>XY SMO7570 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SE. MD002187. [Mapped feature: #34606 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9582 4170 (187m by 387m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1479161 (Original Monarch entry: 1479161)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2569
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE149
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1479161
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13463
Record last edited
Jan 22 2020 12:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.