MMO994 - Medieval or post-medieval activity near Howetown Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- BUILDING PLATFORM (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- FARMSTEAD? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- TRACKWAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- WATER MEADOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- None recorded
Earthworks of a medieval or later date are visible on vertical aerial photographs between Combeshead and Howetown Farms. The features include a double banked trackway, 300 metres long at SS 9373 3268. Abutting this trackway are several linear banks, running parallel with the contours, which may be silted up field gutters. A possible building platform lies in the field immediately to the southeast of Howetown Farm, at SS 9374 3294. Several linear field banks are visible in the fields surrounding the two farms. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3156-7 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4030-1 (19 May 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SCC CS969 9698-9 (5 November 1981).
- <4> SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9369 3285 (733m by 590m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1133753 (Original Monarch entry: 1133753)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9028
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW63
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1133753
Record last edited
Dec 6 2016 9:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.