MMO958 - Post-medieval water meadow south of Upton Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A Post Medieval water meadow, known locally as a Catch Meadow Irrigation System, is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. A series of field gutters or drains extend along the contour on a slope to the south of Upton Cottages and Upton Farm. These extend over an area measuring 280m by 200m, centred at SS 9800 2922.  Originally thought to be earthworks of deserted village, but no evidence to substantiate this (MSO8366).  Field called"Pond mead" on the tithe map. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR MAL/77037 0207-8 26-NOV-1977.
- <2> SSO772 Unassigned: Aston, M. 17.03.76. Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO674 Map: 1839. Upton Tithe Map and Apportionment. DD Rt 236.
- <4> SMO6671 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS92NE.
- <5> SSO1931 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. 12.05.81. Somerset County Council to ENP.
- <6> SSO528 Unassigned: SMR file 34149 1:2500.
- <7> SSO260 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 97. 8776.
- <8> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9829.
- <9> SSO2116 Article in serial: Woodhouse, J. 1976. Barrow Mead, Bath. BAR. 28. 26, 27.
- <10> SSO1728 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1979. SS92NE. 11.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9805 2923 (322m by 237m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1133611 (Original Monarch entry: 1133611)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11646
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8385
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NE43
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1133611
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34149
Record last edited
Dec 13 2012 11:02AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.