MMO956 - Post-medieval pond on Hadborough Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a post medieval pond lie on the northeast slope of Hadborough Hill at SS 9674 2861. They comprise a sub circular hollow 6.8m E-W, 5.4m N-S and 1m deep, which lies within a gully 70m x 10m. The pond was fed by a spring to the south and the remains of an earthern dam lie at the northern edge. The edge of the pond was originally planted with several coniferous trees, which have since died and their remains obscure the pond.  The pond and conifers are depicted on the OS 1st edition map , and it is similar to that on the northwestern edge of Hadborough Hill at SS 9589 2889, 1km to the west, now known as the "Bird Pond". The ponds may have been used in connection with wildfowling. The site was surveyed as part of a RCHME survey of the ENPA holding on Hadborough Hill using differential GPS.  The pond is visible on aerial photographs. 
- --- SMO6671 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS92NE.
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. Riley H 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <2> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . Ordnance Survey 1889 1st edition map, sheet Somerset 68.1.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North R and Riley H 1998 "Haddon Hill: The Field Archaeology..." RCHME survey report.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/860 4173-4 02-SEP-1952.
- <5> SMO6671 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS92NE.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9673 2860 (41m by 45m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132689 (Original Monarch entry: 1132689)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12682
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8999
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NE39
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132689
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35895
Record last edited
Dec 13 2012 10:21AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.