MMO945 - Hole Combe Mine, Winsford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Large open cast ironstone workings, predating the Ison Iron Mine (MSO8595). The site, which lies at SS 9106 3717, marked as `old surface working' by Sellick is visible on vertical aerial photographs. It is marked as Hole Combe on the 6 inch 1887-8 Ordnance Survey map of the area. [1-4] The site is depicted and labelled "Hole Combe" on the 25 inch 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [5,6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4345-7 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SSO1911 Monograph: Sellick R. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway.
- <3> SMO7521 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <4> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1887-8, Somerset 46 SE.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9109 3717 (165m by 89m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132565 (Original Monarch entry: 1132565)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12618
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8612
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW123
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132565
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35829
Record last edited
Mar 25 2019 11:27AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.