MMO876 - Undated earthworks flanking West Howeton Lane and post-medieval cottage at Battleton Brake (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Earthworks flanking the hairpin bend at the northern end of West Howeton Lane. These features possibly represent previous routes of the track and minor quarrying of post-medieval date. [1,2] Part of the earthworks transcribed above, sited at SS 9182 3546, coincide with a building shown on the Tithe Map for Exton and later historic maps. The building is sited within a small enclosure labelled 367, which is sited within land parcel 366; these are described as "Cottage and Garden" and "Battleton Close" respectively and are noted to be part of "Lees". Both are owned by the "Poor of Dulverton" and occupied by John Tapp. The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps show this area labelled as "Battleton Brake". [3-5] The building is no longer shown on modern MasterMap data, although the area is still partitioned off and named Battleton Brake. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3847-8 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO7521 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <3> SSO677 Map: 1838. Exton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 366 and 367.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9181 3538 (139m by 168m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132284 (Original Monarch entry: 1132284)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7194
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW85
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132284
Record last edited
Jul 16 2018 12:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.