MMO851 - Post-medieval water meadow system east of Stockham Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A system of Post Medieval field gutters, visible on aerial photographs, probably form part of a water meadow, known locally as a Catch Meadow irrigation system. At least five roughly parallel ditches extend along the contour between 214m and 244m above OD, on the sides of a steep east facing valley, immediately east of Stockham Farm. They are centred at SS 9270 2989 and SS 9268 3000. These features have been ploughed level. [ Fairly extensive field gutters can be seen as earthwork features on aerial photographs taken in 2013
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3303-4 15-APR-1946.
- --- SMO6669 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS92NW.
- --- SMO7522 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 92 NW. AF1131882.
- --- SSO372 Aerial photograph: 02-SEP-1952. RAF 540/860 4140-4141 02-SEP-1952.
- --- SSO640 Map: 1998. SS92NW. 44.
- <6> SEM8039 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2013. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9266 2998 (325m by 318m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132256 (Original Monarch entry: 1132256)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10048
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9369
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NW44
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132256
- Somerset SMR PRN: 13485
Record last edited
Sep 19 2014 4:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.