MMO840 - Medieval or post-medieval earthworks surrounding East Nurcott and Great Nurcott Farms (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Field banks, paddocks and a trackway of medieval or later date, visible as earthworks in fields surrounding East Nurcott and Great Nurcott. [1-3] The Tithe Map for Winsford shows a section of road leaving Ison Lane at SS 9090 3640. It follows the field boundary for a time in a gradual west to southwest direction and finishes at c. SS 9061 3631, where two buildings are depicted. The road is labelled 357a, which the accompanying apportionment describes as "waste adjoining Blakes Meadow" and states is in use as meadow. It was in ownership of the "Surviving Trustees in fee for Certain Poor Persons in the several Parishes of Winsford, Cutcombe and Wooton Courtney". 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 4159-60 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4347-8 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO7521 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <4> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9067 3627 (395m by 262m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132209 (Original Monarch entry: 1132209)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MEM24839
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8609
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW75
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1132209
Record last edited
Feb 26 2020 4:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.