MMO834 - Post-medieval ironstone pits south of Oldrey (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Shallow pits and spoil, probably relating to ironstone extraction, visible on vertical aerial photographs on north-west facing slopes, to the south of Oldrey. These pits lie to the west of the Ison Iron Mine (MSO8595) and may be contemporary with it or of earlier origin. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 0149-50 (27 April 1964).
- <2> SMO7521 Archive: Dyer, C.A.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1132180, Extant 3 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9015 3723 (66m by 96m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1132180 (Original Monarch entry: 1132180)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8605
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW71
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1132180
Record last edited
May 3 2022 2:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.