MMO816 - Possible post-medieval quarrying or prospecting southeast of Blindwell (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 8039 3151 - A rapid examination of air photography suggests the presence of an area of earthworks, of uncertain date visible c.300m southeast of Blindwell. The earthworks may be the result of quarrying. [1,2] An area of surface disturbance visible on aerial photographs as earthworks, centred on circa SS 8041 3153, approximately 300 metres to the southeast of Blindwell, has been interpreted as an area of quarrying of probable post-medieval date. The disturbance covers an area of circa 5500 square metres, over half a hectare. Several factors support an interpretation of a post-medieval date. A more extensively worked disused quarry of probable post-medieval date is known approximately 300 metres to the northeast and it is possible that the features recorded here are evidence of prospecting that predate the disused quarry. In addition, the possible disturbance appears to cut the remains of former field boundary banks to the north, that may be medieval in origin. 
- <1> SEM7656 Archive: Miller, A.. 1995. RCHME Aerial Photograph Primary Recording Project. 20 December 1995.
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8031/1/164-165, SS 8031-2/166-169, SS 8031/3/172-174 (28 February 1979).
- <3>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped feature: #43243 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8041 3154 (100m by 115m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1129365 (Pastscape entry: 1129365)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE14879
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW71
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1129365
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 10:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.