MMO815 - Possible medieval or later pillow mounds southeast of Blindwell (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A rapid examination of aerial photography suggests the presence of three possible pillow mounds of medieval or later date visible as earthworks. [1,2] (This record was previously incorrectly input on the NMR as MMO472).  Three small earthwork mounds are visible on aerial photographs, centres on circa SS 8050 3132, roughly 500 metres to the southeast of Blindwell Farm. They are roughly circular or ovoid in shape, measuring between 4 and 7 metres long and up to 5 metres wide. They are located on steep combe slopes, between 330 and 345 metres elevation, land perhaps suited to a secondary exploitation use as a warren, and may be the remains on pillow mounds. They are however somewhat small in comparison to other known examples from Devon and Somerset, such as those at Warren Farm. [2,4,5]
- <1> SEM7656 Archive: Miller, A.. 1995. RCHME Aerial Photograph Primary Recording Project. 20 December 1995.
- <2> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS8031/2 (1456/169-171) (28 February 1979).
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. L King, 24 April 1998, RCHME.
- <4> SEM7953 Monograph: Williamson, T. 2007. Rabbits, Warrens and Archaeology. Tempus.
- <5>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped features: #44769 Northern mound, ; #44770 Central mound, ; #44771 Southern mound, ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8050 3131 (22m by 95m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1129353 (Pastscape entry: 1129353)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE14878
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW24
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1129353
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 10:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.