MMO808 - Trackways crossing Lype Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of numerous braided trackways of unknown date seen criss-crossing Lype Common. One group cross from south-west to north-east, another longer group from north-west to south-east and can be traced for approximately 1 km. They can be seen as earthwork ditches and have been mapped from aerial photographs. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944/4152 23-JAN-1947.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4339.
- <3> SSO258 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 95. 8752.
- <4> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9537.
- <5> SMO7525 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NE. AF1133887.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9523 3717 (485m by 934m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128239 (Original Monarch entry: 1128239)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11856
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9284
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE80
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128239
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34434
Record last edited
Jan 29 2013 2:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.