MMO765 - Post-medieval extraction pits northwest of Swansea Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two mineral extraction pits of probable post medieval date, visible as earthworks on vertical aerial photographs to the northwest of Swansea farm. These features are located at SS 9925 3357 and SS 9933 3354. [1,2] The pits do not appear on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1944/3147-8 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO7520 Archive: Dyer, C.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1121479, Extant 5 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9929 3354 (128m by 75m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1121479 (Original Monarch entry: 1121479)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8959
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE92
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1121479
Record last edited
May 5 2022 10:57AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.