MMO759 - Post-medieval mineral extraction site east of Withiel farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Area of small scale mineral extraction of post-medieval or earlier date lying adjacent to a small brook, centred at SS 9875 3392. A string of small earthworks, possibly extraction hollows and spoil mounds are clearly visible on vertical air photographs, following the line of a field gutter or leat which forms part of the system described in record MMO760. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3147-8 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2028 4023-4 (19 May 1947).
- <3> SMO7520 Archive: Dyer, C.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1121293, Extant 5 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9875 3388 (47m by 168m) (4 map features)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1121293 (Original Monarch entry: 1121293)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8953
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE86
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1121293
Record last edited
May 5 2022 10:43AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.