MMO737 - Medieval or post-medieval deserted settlement west of Leigh Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (6)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- BUILDING PLATFORM? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Possible))
- None recorded
Site of a deserted settlement, probably of medieval or post-medieval date is clearly visible on vertical air photographs. The site is centred at SS 9554 3352, where a complex of building foundations is visible, lying on the southern side of a double-banked trackway which appears to run northward for 300 metres, disappearing at SS 9563 3380. To the south of the central complex of buildings at SS 9550 3348, is a rectangular enclosure, 20 metres by 15 metres, which has been incorporated into the northern bank of a rectilinear field. Remnants of a banked field system associated with this settlement are visible at SS 9557 3325, SS 9540 3334, SS 9573 3360 and SS 9592 3375, including two fields of ridge and furrow at SS 9593 3369. This site was identified during the Brendon Hills mapping project and was previously unrecorded, despite being clearly visible on vertical aerial photographs. [1-4] This site lies at the head of the valley of the Pulham River. It is approached from the north by a track surviving as the farm lane to Leigh Farm, and thence southwards as a hollow way. The hollow way enters the head of the combe and is immediately lost amongst disturbance caused by successive springs, many of them puddled by animals, and a series of former animal troughs. Platforms are visible, but these appear to be associated with the springs rather than desertion. However, the presence of the hollow way and fields combined with the favourable position for settlement supports the idea that this may well be the site of a desertion. To the south, the fields noted above are visible as banks 0.4 m high and lynchets. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3152-3 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4027-8 (19 May 1947).
- <3> SMO7520 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SCC CS969 9697-8 (5 November 1981).
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 September 1998.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9563 3354 (888m by 828m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Historic Parish||KINGS BROMPTON|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1120973 (Original Monarch entry: 1120973)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8932
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE64
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1120973
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 12:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.