MMO729 - Medieval or post-medevial deserted farmstead at Woolcotts (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Medieval or post-medieval features associated with the farmstead and settlement of Woolcotts. Features include possible house platforms immediately to the south of the modern settlement as well as banked and ditched field boundaries and ridge and furrow to the southeast. These features appear to be overlain by the drainage system decribed in MMO728 and are therefore of earlier date. These features are visible on vertical air photographs and are centred at SS 9694 3134. [1-3] It was not possible to gain access to this site for the purposes of field investigation.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 1152-3 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 3024-6 (19 May 1947).
- <3> SMO7520 Archive: Dyer, C.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 September 1998.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1120615, Extant 4 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9697 3138 (511m by 660m) (4 map features)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1120615 (Original Monarch entry: 1120615)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8924
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE56
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1120615
Record last edited
May 4 2022 5:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.