MMO713 - Earthworks surrounding Lower and Higher Cowlings (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- MOUND (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- PILLOW MOUND (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- TRACKWAY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- None recorded
Earthwork features of medieval or post-medieval date in fields surrounding Lower and Higher Cowlings. Features include a single field of ridge and furrow at SS 9663 3051, approached fron the west by a double banked linear feature, possibly a trackway. To the north at SS 9655 3059 lies an elongated mound (possibly a pillow mound). To the north of the modern lane, linking Higher and Lower Cowlings is a linear bank, possibly a field boundary. [1,2] The whole area has been disturbed by the construction of Wimbleball Reservoir, and subsequently landscaped to provide car parking and an amenity area.
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 1153-4 23-JAN-1947.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENP 1RFC AF/94 1065 06-OCT-1994.
- <3> SMO7520 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. R Wilson-North 7 Sep 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9650 3057 (362m by 232m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1120034 (Original Monarch entry: 1120034)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8910
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE40
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1120034
Record last edited
May 29 2018 3:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.