MMO678 - Medieval and post-medieval earthworks at Cophole Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
A post-medieval catch meadow irrigation system was noted on aerial photos at Cophole Farm. Centred at SS 986 324. [1,2] This area was looked at during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. There was no sign of a catch meadow system at the location described by the previous authority, however, several other features were visible on the available air photographs. Two fields of probable medieval or post-medieval ridge and furrow are visible at SS 9870 3235 and SS 9815 3250. A small number of drainage ditches centred around SS 983 327, may be the fragments of a catch meadow system. A number of linked ditched and banked linear features are visible to the west of Cophole Farm buildings (SS 9840 3235). These features appear to include a possible hollow way, and may form part of a shrunken or deserted farmstead. A small mound is visible at SS 9813 3259, which is of uncertain date and function. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. 40.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 1150.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 1149-50 (23 January 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL/77037 221-222 (26 November 1977).
- <5> SMO7520 Archive: Dyer, C.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1118301, Extant 4 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9844 3255 (749m by 587m) (3 map features)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1118301 (Original Monarch entry: 1118301)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11920
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8903
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE28
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1118301
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34499
Record last edited
May 4 2022 4:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.