MMO673 - Stolford deserted farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
The deserted farmstead of Stolford is known from air photos of 1971 and believed to be of a post-medieval date.  Parallel field gutters, probably part of a catch meadow irrigation system associated with the farm, and a linear field bank of probable post medieval date, were visible on vertical air photographs taken in 1964.  Stolford has now almost completely disappeared. Only the fragmentary remains of the rear wall of a building survive at SS 9897 3207. An amorphous platform area is just discernible in front of the wall, but this is probably largely due to the removal of the building and the levelling off of the site.  The farmstead is depicted on Kings Brompton Tithe Map .
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9832.
- <2> SMO7094 Aerial photograph: KING, LK. Aerial photograph. SCPD.HSL.UK 71-177 run 99, 2213.
- <3> SSO1631 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SE.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 88.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 0284-5 27-APR-1964.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. R Wilson-North 7 Sep 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <7> SMO7520 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <8> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9875 3190 (522m by 410m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1118238 (Original Monarch entry: 1118238)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11861
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8898
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE23
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1118238
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34439
Record last edited
Jul 30 2018 12:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.