MMO672 - Higher Ditch deserted farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- FARMSTEAD (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- WATER MEADOW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- FIELD BOUNDARY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))
- None recorded
The deserted farmstead of Higher Ditch, immediately to the east of Ditch Farm. Documentary evidence indicates the presence of several small cottage enclosures which are still visible on the 6" and 1:10,000 OS maps of the area. [1,2] Aerial photographs clearly show the presence of an extensive ridge and furrow field system in fields surrounding both farms, as well as some drainage ditches, possible part of a catch meadow drainage system and several field banks. [3-7] The site of Lower Ditch is now occupied by a pond. No structural remains are evident on the site. The former farmstead is approached from the south-west by a hollow way 5 m wide and 0.7 m deep. 
- <1> SSO1885 Unpublished document: Ridler, J K. 31.05.78. Ridler, J.K to Somerset County Council.
- <2> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 88.
- <3> SSO415 Photograph: December 197. Slide (SCC Planning Department). 3.003.0009.
- <4> SSO262 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 99. 8815.
- <5> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9831, 9931.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 3024-4 19-MAY-1947.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3479-80 15-APR-1946.
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. R Wilson-North 7 Sep 1998 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <9> SMO7520 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9890 3135 (1028m by 820m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1118227 (Original Monarch entry: 1118227)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11113
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8896
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE34
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1118227
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33410
Record last edited
Nov 16 2020 1:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.