MMO671 - Deserted medieval farm of Thorn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A deserted medieval farm site. Adam atte Thorne is mentioned in the lay subsidy of 1327. [1,5] The tithe map of 1840 shows two fields named "Great Thorn Close" and "Higher Thorne Close", but no buildings are shown.  Higher Thorn Close is mentioned on the OS 6" map of 1962.  There are several possible sites for a medieval farmstead in this area, but very little is visible from the ground.  A linear system of ditches, possibly drainage, is visible on aerial photographs of the area. 
- --- SMO7520 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SE. AF1118137.
- <1> SSO1037 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 9/10/1987. p177, 182.
- <2> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <3> SSO1631 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SE.
- <4> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 88.
- <5> SMO5320 Monograph: Glasscock, R.E. (editor). 1975. The Lay Subsidy of 1334. Oxford University Press. 11. 265.
- <6> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9533.
- <7> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3341.
- <8> SSO258 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 95. 8754.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9550 3469 (377m by 410m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1118220 (Original Monarch entry: 1118220)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11096
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8894
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SE32
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1118220
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33393
Record last edited
Nov 21 2014 9:58AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.