MMO655 - Blagdon Cottages (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Blagdon Cottages are shown and described, immediately east of Blagdon Cross on Ordnance Survey mapping of 1889.  The cottages are again shown on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Nothing is shown at the same location on current Ordnance Survey mapping and the cottages appear to have been reduced to a linear bank or wall by the time vertical aerial photographs taken in 1947. It was mapped during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. [4,5] The Tithe Map for Cutcombe shows the site as a small land parcel abutting the road. No house is depicted but the plot is annotated 561, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as a cottage and garden owned by Thomas Evans and occupied by John Bennett and George Hole. This suggests a building was located here at this time. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46.7.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . Ordnance Survey current edition 1:10,000 mapping, sheet SS 93 NW.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4299-300 11-APR-1947.
- <5> SMO7521 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <6> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 561.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9157 3940 (81m by 56m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1105344 (Original Monarch entry: 1105344)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12629
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9221
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW66
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1105344
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35840
Record last edited
Aug 31 2016 10:31AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.