MMO655 - Blagdon Cottages, Cutcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Blagdon Cottages are shown and described, immediately east of Blagdon Cross on Ordnance Survey mapping of 1889.  The cottages are again shown on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Nothing is shown at the same location on c.1998 Ordnance Survey mapping.  A linear bank or wall, coinciding with the northern boundary of the line of the cottages marked on the 1889 map, is visible on the vertical aerial photographs and was mapped during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. [4,5] The Tithe Map for Cutcombe shows the site as a small land parcel abutting the road. No house is depicted but the plot is annotated 561, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as a cottage and garden owned by Thomas Evans and occupied by John Bennett and George Hole. This suggests a building was located here at this time.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46(7).
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . c.1998, 1:10,000, SS 93 NW.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4299-300 (11 April 1947).
- <5> SMO7521 Archive: Dyer, C.A.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <6> SSO95 Map: [Unknown]. 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Pen and Ink. Land parcel 561.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1105344, Extant 3 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9157 3940 (81m by 56m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1105344 (Original Monarch entry: 1105344)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12629
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9221
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW66
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1105344
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35840
Record last edited
May 3 2022 1:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.