MMO651 - Medieval and post-medieval activity west of Red Door Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
The remains of several small stone quarries are visible as earthworks to the west of Red Door Farm, Exton. An area of linear quarrying, with overall dimensions of 60x8m and a maximum of 8m deep, lies at SS 9240 3340. In the field to the north of are two small quarry scoops and some linear quarrying at SS 9240 3345 and an amorphous area of quarrying at SS 9245 3350. These quarries are overlain by the well preserved remains of a field gutter system.  An air photographic survey and transcription was undertaken of this area as part of the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. The quarries described by the previous authority were not visible on the available photographs although linear areas of quarrying were identified at SS 9244 3344 and SS 9250 3340. In addition to these and the field gutter system described above, the earthworks of a double banked trackway and curved field bank, and rectangular banked enclosure lie centred at SS 9237 3349. These are overlain by the field gutters. [2-4]
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. Riley H 1997 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <2> SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4031 19-MAY-1947.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 0274-5 27-APR-1964.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SCC CS969 9719-20 05-NOV-1981.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9242 3350 (192m by 184m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1105136 (Original Monarch entry: 1105136)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW41
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1105136
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35767
Record last edited
Dec 20 2012 12:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.