MMO622 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Centred at SS79254073 are the remains of a sub-rectangular enclosure. It consists of a very sharply defined bank, 0.9m high, composed of earth and stone, forming a U-shape, with the western end being open. The date and function of the feature are uncertain, but it is almost certainly post-medieval, and may have been a small paddock or enclosure for stock, or possibly a garden. Now engulfed by bracken. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. (1-4) The enclosure described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs south of Warren Farm, Exmoor. In places the banks have been cut by a leat of the 19th century water meadow, indicating that it most likely predates the 19th century settlement at Warren Farm, and is contemporary with the nearby earthworks and pillow mounds (5-6).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/9502 135-36 12-MAR-1995.
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F64) 167-68 27-APR-1964.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. McDonnell R, 1985, Recommendations for the management of archaeological sites..
- --- SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison SCPD 21.03.1984.
- --- SMO7094 Aerial photograph: KING, LK. Aerial photograph. AP.MAM. 14.021 May 1977.
- --- SMO7307 Unpublished document: FITZGERALD, RJF. Field Investigators Comments. F1 WRWN 09-Aug-1994.
- --- SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7924 4074 (50m by 46m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102041 (Pastscape entry: 1102041)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO6894
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102041
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33090
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 10:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.