MMO612 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A contour leat running from the Warren to Dry Hill. It is fairly well preserved throught its length measuring 0.6m wide with a down slope bank up to 0.5m high and 1.5m wide. (1-3) A system of catchwater leats is centred at SS79454062 on the south-facing slopes of the Exe valley below Warren Farm. At least four, and perhaps as many as six leats, are visible. They survive as slight channels cut into the natural slopes to a depth of 0.6m. They were presumably intended to convey water from the streams which form the tributaries of the Exe, onto the steep natural slopes. They are prbably of 19th century date andmay be contemporary with Warre Farm. Three of the leats cut through pillow mounds (SS74SE37). Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. (4) The contour and catchwater leats described above are clearly visible on aerial photographers, and are clearly part of the extensive catchwater meadow system which extends across Prayway Meads, The Warren and Warren Farm. A number of these leats have been recorded individually, and have now been combined under one record (NMR UID 1475879) for clarity (5).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/95026 134-136 12-MAR-1995.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. McDonnell R, 1985, Recommendations for the management of archaeological sites..
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. AP/SCPD HSL.UK71-177 Run 79 9282 September 1971.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. AP/CPE.UK.4156-7 April 1947.
- --- SMO7307 Unpublished document: FITZGERALD, RJF. Field Investigators Comments. F1 WRWN 09-Aug-194.
- --- SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
No mapped location recorded.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1101993 (Pastscape entry: 1101993)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO6908
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1101993
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33078
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 10:33AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.