MMO595 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
North Lode workings, part of the New Florence Iron Mine complex consists of four adits and two shafts and would appear to date form the 1870s. There are other prospecting pits visible in the area. The best preserved adit is visible as a gulley measuring 22m long and 3.2m deep with an associated spoil heap (1-3). The prospecting pits described above are visible on aerial photographs as a series of shallow earthworks. Very little of New Florence Iron Mine can be seen on aerial photographs due to the dense vegetation of Radworthy Down Cleave; however these pits are the exception (4).
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1420 3445-46 15-APR-1946.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North WR 22-NOV-95 RCHME Field Investigation.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" map. Devonshire sheet XV.7.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Dixon D 1983 "Mining and the Community in the parishes of North Molton etc" unpublished PhD thesis,.
- --- SMO7578 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 SE. MD002195.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7544 3228 (90m by 45m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1097019 (Pastscape entry: 1097019)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60630
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE14801
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1097019
Record last edited
Mar 28 2017 12:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.