MMO591 - Post-medieval water meadow with ridge and furrow at Higher Hone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A post-medieval water meadow system at Higher Hone noted on air photos of 1947. [1,2] Linear ditches associated with the water meadow system were visible on vertical aerial photographs in fields to the west of Higher and Lower Hone. These ditches appear to be incorporated into a ridge and furrow system which may be earlier in date. [3-5]
- <1> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. 40.
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3158.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3157-8 (23 June 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 0273-4 (27 April 1964).
- <5> SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9240 3263 (175m by 406m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095111 (Original Monarch entry: 1095111)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11890
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8592
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW34
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095111
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34468
Record last edited
Dec 6 2016 9:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.