MMO585 - Post-medieval linhay with associated water meadow at Howtown Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
Aerial photographs show building remains and a bank making a small enclosure. [1,2] The earthwork remains of an enclosure 18 by 5 metres with a probable building platform at the northwestern end, together with the remains of a pond 15 by 12 metres lie at SS 9336 3346.  The field evidence suggests a barn with associated enclosure and pond for stock. The building, enclosure and pond are not depicted on the tithe map of 1838, but the names of the adjacent fields are "Linhay Close" and Lower Linhay Close". They were worked by John How, probably from nearby HowTown Farm.  The enclosure and pond are shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map of 1889.  The remains of the enclosure and the pond are recorded on the current large scale mapping of the area.  Field investigation found earthwork remains of an enclosure 18 by 5 metres with a probable building platform at the northwestern end, together with the remains of a pond 15 by 12 metres lying at SS 9336 3346. The field evidence suggested a barn with associated enclosure and pond for stock. Together, the cartographic and documentary evidence suggested a linhay, worked from Howton Farm, which fell into disuse sometime before 1838.  Immediately to the southwest of the enclosure and pond is a small system of field drains, possible part of a water meadow system associated with the linhay. These features are visible on vertical aerial photographs of the area. [9-10]
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9333.
- <2> SSO256 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 93. 8722.
- <3> SSO1632 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SW.
- <4> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 57(8).
- <5> SSO677 Map: 1838. Exton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 57(8).
- <7> SSO1516 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500, sheet SS 9333.
- <8> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR Site SS 93 SW27.
- <9> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 0275-6 (27 April 1964).
- <10> SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9328 3337 (275m by 207m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095087 (Original Monarch entry: 1095087)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11858
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7169
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW27
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095087
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34436
Record last edited
Dec 6 2016 9:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.