MMO583 - Possible medieval farmstead and post-medieval linhay and barn, Knaphindham Rocks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A deserted farm site at Knaphindham Rocks was mentioned by Mick Aston in 1977 and recorded in the Somerset SMR.  The tithe map for the area shows two buildings in a small enclosure, which are named as a linhay, barn and yard. [2,3] The first edition OS map depicts a single building, probably the barn, in a small enclosure.  The remains of the enclosure are preserved as field boundaries, shown on the 1973 Ordnance Survey map.  The enclosure and field banks are clearly visible on vertical aerial photographs of the area. [6,7]
- --- SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. M Aston, SCPD, 14 November 1977.
- <2> SSO677 Map: 1838. Exton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 71-104.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 57(11).
- <5> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000. SS 9331.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3156-7 (23 January 1947).
- <7> SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9311 3188 (228m by 257m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095053 (Original Monarch entry: 1095053)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11300
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7167
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW20
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095053
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33642
Record last edited
May 4 2020 3:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.