MMO583 - Possible medieval farmstead and post-medieval linhay and barn, Knaphindham Rocks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A deserted farm site at Knaphindham Rocks.  The tithe map for the area shows two buildings in a small enclosure, which are named as a linhay, barn and yard [2,3]. The first edition Ordnance Survey map depicts a single building, probably the barn, in a small enclosure . The remains of the enclosure are preserved as field boundaries, shown on the 1973 Ordnance Survey map .  The enclosure and field banks are clearly visible on vertical aerial photographs of the area. [7,8] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, SCPD, 14 November 1977.
- <2> SSO677 Map: 1838. Exton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 71-104.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 57(11).
- <5> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000. SS 9331.
- <6> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME, 1 January 1998.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 3156-7 (23 January 1947).
- <8> SMO7523 Archive: Dyer, C.. 1998-1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1095053, Extant 9 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9311 3188 (228m by 257m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095053 (Original Monarch entry: 1095053)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11300
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7167
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW20
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1095053
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33642
Record last edited
May 9 2022 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.