MMO561 - Luckyard Wood Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The Somerset SMR records two blocked adits at SS 9236 3600 and SS 9242 3600.  The adits were one of the trial areas of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company but no records survive pertaining to the adits.  The remains of the two adits are difficult to locate. They lie at the foot of steep north facing slopes south of South Quarme farm. The most westerly one, centred at SS 92352 36005, lies in Luckyard Wood and has been obscured by dumped material following woodland clearance (information from farmer). However, it survives as a gulley running south-east into the hillside for 8 m with a spoil bank 2 m high on its northern side. To the west is a flat-topped spoil dump, protruding from beneath a modern track. This feature is depicted as spoil on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" mapping of 1889 (source 2), although the adit itself is not shown. The easterly adit is also depicted on source 2 as a gulley running into the hillside with a spoil dump on its downslope side. The site of the adit is in a pasture field presumably cleared from the former woodland. It is not visible on the ground, but its NGR derived from its position on source 2 is at SS 92430 36014. The spoil mound is still visible, and survives a pronounced linear mound 2.6 m high and about 23 m long. [3,4] The spoil mound and gulley described by the previous authorities were seen as earthworks and mapped during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. [5,6]
- <1> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 4.
- <2> SSO1911 Monograph: Sellick R. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway. 41.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46.15.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. R Wilson-North 4 Nov 1997 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SMO7521 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4343-4 11-APR-1947.
- <7> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29 Sep 1986.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9234 3598 (313m by 151m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089202 (Original Monarch entry: 1089202)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11806
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7177
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW36
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089202
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34382
Record last edited
Apr 3 2018 1:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.