MMO556 - Deserted farm at South Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A farm at South Hill is shown on the tithe map as a holding of some 41 acres.  It was later marked as a series of small enclosures and a ruined building on the 6"map of 1962 leading to the classification of a deserted farmstead.  Also mentioned in 1826 and 1836.  Two linear banks, probably field boundaries relating to this farmstead, are visible on vertical aerial photographs and plotted during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. [5,6]
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29 Sep 1986.
- <2> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SSO1573 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6" sheet SS93NW. 6" 1962.
- <4> SSO743 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the 1327 lay subsidy. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 91.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 F63 0149-50 27-APR-1964.
- <6> SMO7521 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9038 3924 (174m by 179m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089154 (Original Monarch entry: 1089154)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11188
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9270
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW27
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089154
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33518
Record last edited
Nov 21 2014 9:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.