MMO552 - Post-medieval fish ponds west of Cutcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
At least two rectilinear ponds are visible on vertical aerial photographs at SS 9260 3922, to the west of Cutcombe. They were plotted during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project and are considered to be post-medieval fishponds. [1-3] The fishponds can be traced on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and the 6" map drawn in 1962. They lead into what is now known as 'Newpark Pond', which was also extant on the three maps. [4-6]
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29 Sep 1986.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4297-8 11-APR-1947.
- <3> SMO7521 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 25" 1903.
- <6> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 6" 1962.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9250 3926 (196m by 88m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089135 (Original Monarch entry: 1089135)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11169
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9263
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW19
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089135
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33499
Record last edited
Jan 29 2013 1:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.