MMO552 - Post-medieval fish ponds west of Cutcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
At least two rectilinear ponds are visible on vertical aerial photographs at SS 9260 3922, to the west of Cutcombe. They were plotted during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project and are considered to be post-medieval fishponds. [1-1] The fishponds can be traced on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and the 6" map drawn in 1962. They lead into what is now known as 'Newpark Pond', which was also extant on the three maps. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 4297-8 (11 April 1947).
- <2> SMO7521 Archive: Dyer, C.A.. 1998. RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 NW. AF1129721.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <5> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1089135, Extant 2 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9250 3926 (196m by 88m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089135 (Original Monarch entry: 1089135)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11169
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9263
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW19
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1089135
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33499
Record last edited
May 2 2022 8:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.