MMO517 - 19th Century leat adjacent to Dane's Brook (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A leat, comprising a shallow channel 0.3 metres deep cut into the hillside by 0.5metres and embanked on its downslope side by 0.4metres. The leat passes below Moorhouse, where it is joined by a channel leading from a dung pit attached to the former farmyard. The purpose of the leat is unclear but presumably it served to irrigate the steeper fields near the deserted farmstead of Moorhouse.  A leat or carriage gutter of probable 19th Century date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards as a ditch running for nearly 2 kilometres from circa SS 8189 3212 at Lower Willingford Bridge to circa SS 8347 3099, about 250 metres to the southeast of the deserted farmstead of Moorhouse. It is depicted on the 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map of Devonshire, 1890 . The feature probably served as a basic field gutter water meadow. The information provided by  regarding the connection to the dung pit at Moorhouse indicates that this probably operated as an integrated system, whereby the dung was added to the water to be distributed on the slopes as liquid fertiliser. The channel can be seen in use on aerial photographs of 1946. [2-6]
- <1> SMO7315 Unpublished document: KING, LK. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 May 1995.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR NMR CPE/UK/2082 (F20) 3042-4 (19 May 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 (F20) 3456-7 (15 April 1946).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890.
- <5> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <6>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped feature: #32691 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8268 3156 (1588m by 1130m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1052304 (Pastscape entry: 1052304)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54030
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE13251
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW68
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1052304
Record last edited
Feb 12 2019 2:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.