MMO516 - Post-medieval pound on Halscombe Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A rectangular bank defined enclosure interpreted as a stock pound of post medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred at circa SS 8200 3299. The enclosure is approximately 85 metres long northwest to southeast and 45 metres wide. The southeastern edge of the enclosure appears to abut the line of the track crossing Halscombe Allotment between Portchester Post and Upper Willingford Corner, possibly supporting the interpretation that the enclosure post dates the formalisation of the track. Nonetheless, a great number of packhorse roads or hollow ways are visible in this area, focusing on the area of Upper Willingford Bridge, indicating that it was probably an important crossing point over Dane's Brook for stock for some time. [1-5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 June 1995.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 543/2821 (F61) 0257-8 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR CPE/UK/2082 (F20) 3043-4 (19 May 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4251-2 (11 July 1946).
- <5> SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8203 3295 (102m by 103m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1052165 (Pastscape entry: 1052165)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12363
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8755
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW52
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1052165
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35552
Record last edited
Dec 20 2016 11:07AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.