MMO514 - 19th Century leat to Lyshwell Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A well preserved leat is visible as an earthwork, carrying water from Molland Common to Lyshwell Farm. It survives as a ditch 1.8 metres wide and 0.5 metres deep, supported by a bank on its lower side.  Centred on circa SS 8327 3047, in total the leat is over 1200 metres long, although it is clearly visible on aerial photographs only for the western 800 metres; however the full length of the leat is marked on the Ordnance Survey maps of this area from the 1st Edition onwards. The leat may in fact be a carriage gutter of probable 19th Century date, feeding a water meadow to the south of Lyshwell Farm. [2-5] The current course of the leat as shown on the 2018 MasterMap data continues east from the southern side of Lyshwell Farm, before turning southwards at SS 8380 3055 (south of the sheep dip) and then rejoining the stream to the south at SS 8382 3048.  Leat associated with modern sheep dip. Leat grass sided and with water present. Emanates from Soakey Moor.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 April 1995.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 4121-2 (2 September 1952).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 (F20) 3289-90 (15 April 1946).
- <4> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500, 1890.
- <5>XY SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197. [Mapped feature: #32696 ]
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <7> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A1, 29 May 1992.
- <8> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906, 16SW.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1052135, Extant 2 February 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8324 3058 (1161m by 222m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1052135 (Pastscape entry: 1052135)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54025
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/29
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE13238
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21560
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW44
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1052135
Record last edited
Feb 2 2022 3:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.